Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Kimber’s Questionable Clientele

The March 2008 issue of American Rifleman had a cover article on a new variant of the M1911 (one of my all time favorite sidearms) being produced by Kimber. Unfortunately, the new variant was expressly designed for the L.A.P.D. - perhaps the most anti-Second Amendment police department in the United States. I therefore felt compelled to write a letter not only to American Rifleman, but to Kimber, Inc. as well. I reproduce that letter here:

"I want to preface this letter by stating categorically that I have the generally have the utmost respect for our men and women in the law enforcement community, and that I’m an avid firearms and shooting enthusiast. I did, however, read the article detailing the Kimber SIS in the March 2008 issue of American Rifleman with more than a more than a few mixed emotions. Granted, officers in the LAPD face an unusually high danger from a well-armed criminal element; I however firmly believe that the active anti-Second Amendment stance of the City of Los Angeles, State of California, and the Los Angeles Police Department have directly caused the elevated threat that their own officers face.

"For an American firearms manufacturer to specifically create a sidearm for the LAPD effectively condones the city’s continued misguided efforts to control crime through increasingly draconian “gun control” measures. I am forced view Kimber as a silent participant in enforcing these gun control laws which leave law-abiding Americans unable to protect themselves. While the 1911 variant you have developed as detailed in the article is impressive, and the 1911 is perhaps my favorite sidearm, because of your willingness to work directly with groups that have at best a casual disregard for and at worst outright hostility toward our basic Second Amendment rights, I will be actively avoiding Kimber firearms in my future purchases and will be urging others to do the same.

"I see a very real distinction between a firearm company selling firearms to groups like the LAPD either off the shelf or through a distributor and working directly with these groups to develop advanced custom firearms for these groups. If Kimber at some later date publically ceases such close interaction with the LAPD and similar anti-Second Amendment forces, I will once again strongly consider adding your products to my collection."

You won't see a link to Kimber's site on my blog either...

Until next time!

No comments: