Friday, June 20, 2008

Angelina and Brad on Gun Ownership

More often than not Hollywood comes down staunchly in the anti-Second Amendment camp. It’s unclear to this author why a group that seems to espouse equal rights for all would want to deny and destroy the most fundamental right of all – the right of self preservation. There are a few exceptions – the late Charlton Heston being probably the most outspoken, but two of the latest to come out in favor of gun ownership came as an absolute surprise to me: Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt.

Angelina and Brad have several children (some adopted with more on the way or already here depending on who you believe), and naturally the proud parents are concerned about the safety of their children. Widely reported as a “confession” by the hand-wringing Hollywood press (as if being pro-Second Amendment was some sort of mortal sin), Angelina states:

"If anybody comes into my home and tries to hurt my kids, I've no problem shooting them. I bought original, real guns of the type we used in Tomb Raider for security. Brad and I are not against having a gun in the house, and we do have one. And yes, I'd be able to use it if I had to.”

Therein lies the simple principle of self defense. If you call the police, it takes time for them to get there – even if you’re a Hollywood multi-millionaire. At the end of the day the responsibility for one’s own safety and security lies with one’s self. However, Angelina’s pro-Second Amendment stance doesn’t appear to stop there:

“There's a side to me that people know is humanitarian, and there's a side to me that's a mummy. But there's also the side that likes to get down and dirty and run and jump around and fire guns. I don't want to lose touch with that. That's one of the reasons I like to do action movies. It's good for me every once in a while."

That sort of gives you a whole new perspective on the movie Mr. and Mrs. Smith, eh? So now I’m wondering if I could convince Angelina and Brad to go plinking with the local group.

In this super-charged election year where the partisan rhetoric seems to be nearly at the boiling point, it’s encouraging to see individuals who are in favor of personal firearm ownership for many of the normal reasons (both self defense and skill building / recreation in this case) speak out. Especially when those individuals are members of a community that is typically hostile to our basic Second Amendment rights. Maybe these two will make others who blindly follow what the “in” crowd says is desirable think a little differently about firearms. Well, you can always hope!

Until next time!

No comments: