Saturday, December 20, 2008

Viet Nam Era AR-15 Clone Finally Done!

When it comes to firearms I not only enjoy shooting and hunting, but collecting as well. I’m trying to get a good collection of American infantry rifles. I’ve got Garands, 1903’s, 1903A3’s, Model 1917, M1 Carbines, even a Krag. I also have a couple of AR-15’s in the modern M4 configuration. That leaves a couple of gaps in the collection – the M14 and the Viet Nam era M16. Obviously unless I’m willing to drop $15,000+, I’m not going to get a fully automatic version of either – so I go the next best route – M1A and an AR-15 on the old pattern. I still have the M1A on my Chirstmas list (and Santa sure ain’t bringing it THIS year), but now the “M16” gap has finally been closed. My “old school” AR-15 is finally complete.



Collecting all of the parts took some time, and I finally got the last of what I needed at the gun show today. It’s built on a Superior Arms lower with a Olympic lower parts kit. The pistol grip and buttstock are M16 GI. I assembled the lower myself. The upper is an old A1 upper with a Colt barrel I came across at the show today. The bolt and carrier assembly are a chrome Young bolt and carrier. Now all I need is a 60’s vintage sling and I’m ready to rock and roll!


I had a lot of fun building this rifle, and I can’t wait to get it out and see what it’ll do on the range.
Until next time!!!

1 comment:

Calvin said...

Go to www.libertytreecollectors.com they have original slings for ar15/16