Monday, January 26, 2009

January Rose City Gun Show Report

Made it to the Portland Rose City / Collectors West Gun Show yesterday – overall it was a pretty decent show. Some of the prices were starting to come down from the “panic” levels of November and December, but there were a couple of vendors still wanting $1300 for an $850 Romanian Dragunov, and $1200 for a $650-$700 RPK. Needless to say, those vendors didn’t seem to be moving a lot of product. A lot of local groups were in attendance – the Northwest Firearms board even had a booth.

Black rifle components were still pretty scarce, and I expect it will take months for the manufacturers to catch up at this rate. Young Manufacturing was at the show – I was tempted to pick up another one of their uppers, but I resisted this time around. I already have one of their uppers with a match grade bolt and carrier assembly – thing shoots like an absolute dream.
C&R firearms were a bit better represented this time around – you couldn’t toss an empty ammo can without hitting a Mosin Nagant at the show. Several of them were pretty nice as well, including a lot of “hex” receiver models and even several converted Dragoon rifles. I ended up picking up an 1895 Nagant pistol that somehow slipped though without a total refurb. Russian capture K98k’s seemed to be in abundance too for some reason. There were several rarer pieces there as well that I only wish I’d had the money for: Lots of Garands, 1911’s, 1903’s, and some really nice Lugers.

I also managed to find some 7.62x54R brass – already primed – at the show. 7.62x54R brass seems to have completely dried up recently, and I was glad to find 150 cases. I also picked up some 30 carbine, 6.5 Japanese, and a few other goodies to keep my vintage rifles well fed.

Overall, not a bad show – I had a lot of fun, and managed to get a few good deals on AR magazines, brass, ammo, etc. I’m hoping that the supply side for AR components will ease up by the next show.

Until next time!!!

5 comments:

Micah said...

What were the prices on the MN Hex Receivers? How 'bout the K98?
I wish I would've gone to look at those as I seem to have fallen in love with Mosins....

Fingolfen said...

Prices varied on the Hex Mosins from $90 to $130-ish - not bad overall since you don't have to pay shipping. K98's were in the $200 to $250 range... I didn't have my code translator with me so I wasn't sure what I wanted to go after on the K98's

Micah said...

Sweet! Thanks for the info. I'm doing some research online with the K98's, is that about normal would you say? I'm a n00b when it comes to the K98, still learning.

Fingolfen said...

K98's vary a lot more than Mosins because of the wider variety of rare codes and years... You should be able to get a decent one for $200 to $250 - one of the rare ones (see Backbone of the Wehrmacht) will run more ($400+)...

If it's a vet bringback rather than a RC - start doubling those numbers, triple for a nice one...

Micah said...

Thanks for all the info man! Looks like I'm going to have to start learning codes and symbols like I did for the Mosins. I figure a RC is just fine, I don't need a super collectible one, I just want a decent one to shoot and admire.