Monday, May 11, 2009

The Most Pointless AR Accessory Ever!

I’m a huge fan of the AR-15 platform. Good ergonomics, modularity, and accuracy are only a few of the traits that make the weapon a winner in my book. Throw into the mix some match-grade components, and you have a true masterpiece. I’m also a big fan of bows, crossbows and other medieval weapons. In the right hands, these can still be weapons of deadly precision. What do the two have to do with each other? I had thought nothing until I read the May 10, 2009 issue of Shotgun News and saw a full-page advertisement for, you guessed it, a crossbow upper for your AR-15. WTF???

While I’m sure the upper is well made (it’s a composite crossbow with a weaver mount for a scope), I can’t help thinking that the effort was entirely misplaced. It would have been just as easy to integrate a weaver mount into a integrated crossbow structure (that could be compatible with AR trigger groups and stocks if so desired) and not require a “firearm” to use your crossbow. It’s certainly imaginative, but seems equally pointless.

You can find the fact sheet on PSE archery's homepage. Right now it's available for pre-order at the low-low price of $1299. Once again I'm forced to question someone's sanity.

Until next time!!!

2 comments:

GuidoDono said...

A dedicated system is always better
http://crossbowchannel.com/ATA2008/ATA2008_P5.htm

Fingolfen said...

When it comes to crossbows, I agree...