Sunday, May 3, 2009

New Romanian AK Build – Ready for Finishing!

Spent part of the weekend putting together the last of my Romanian “G” kits. This one was a bit rusty (still is in spots), so I’m going to have to send it off to get it cleaned up and refinished. I built this one on a NoDak spud receiver. I’m using the original wood furniture, except for the lower hand guard. I’ve never liked the wooden forward grips you get on the Romanian “G” kits. I substituted it with a Romanian standard lower handguard, but it seems to narrow. I may end up replacing it later.


I refinished the buttstock and the upper handguard from the kit. I stripped the original finish, then hit them with a little rosewood oil/stain followed by a tung oil finish. Overall the color looks pretty good when compared to the originals (which have darkened over time).

I still need to pick up a US slant break for this rifle (I have one on order, but it hasn’t arrived yet). I think my riveting skills have gotten to the point where I’m ready to tackle the Tabuks (once the parts come back from engraving). Once again, can’t wait to get this one out and test fire it. The fit and function seems very solid.

Until next time!!!

No comments: