Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Obama’s Justice Pick: Sonia Sotomayor

Nominating an individual to serve on the Supreme Court represents a huge decision. Obama’s first pick, Sonia Sotomayor, is a bit of an enigma at this point. I haven’t been able to find any real Second Amendment case law that she has ruled upon (I have now, and it isn't good news, see above!). However, the consensus is that she is a moderate to liberal judge.

The Political Debris blog indicates there is a video of Sotomayor where she states:

“. . .[a] court of appeals is where policy is made.”

Immediately adding:

“And I know — I know this is on tape, and I should never say that because we don’t make law. I know. O.K. I know. I’m not promoting it. I’m not advocating it. I’m — you know.”

Sounds like she’s not sure whether she’s an activist judge or not – or maybe she is sure, but doesn’t want people to know. Or maybe she’s sure and she only wants certain people in the know to know. Oh, and she seems articulate too!

Jeffrey Rosen over at The New Republic questions her judicial competency whereas Glenn Greenwald blasts Rosen’s assessment. It’s interesting to see that there is already political infighting on the left regarding this particular nomination.

Any justice sitting on the Supreme Court of the United States should be an ace – they need a breadth of experience on important cases and a strong commitment to rule of law and willingness to support the Constitution. My assessment is that Obama has nominated a candidate who is a great personal success story, but of questionable judicial strength. In other words, he’s nominated a story over substance. It will be interesting to see how the confirmation process proceeds.

Until next time!!!

2 comments:

Nick Jesch said...

Story over substance, comeing from the big O? I do trust you're not surprised.

Fingolfen said...

Not in the slightest... that's his SOP at this point...

The country deserves better, though it looks like the loyal opposition is going to effectively give this one a pass unless they can find a way to Bork her...