Thursday, September 10, 2009

Rifle of the Month – the SG-43 Goryunov

For a change of pace I thought I’d do something a little something different this time around. The SG-43 Goryunov was designed as a replacement for the Maxim machine gun common in Soviet service during World War II. It’s belt fed and chambered for the ubiquitous 7.62x54R cartridge. The machine gun was used extensively in World War II, and then post war in the armed forced of Soviet ally and satellite states. In the 60’s it was replaced by the newer PK and PKM machine guns. One of the distinguishing features is the wheeled cart so the weapon is ready to set up a defensive position with gun shield at all times.


As with most fully-automatic firearms, this one is exceedingly rare. However AIM surplus has recently released a semi-automatic version of the weapon based on Polish kits and new U.S. receivers. I would LOVE to have one, but with a purchase price just short of $4,400 – I think I’m unfortunately going to have to admire this one from afar (unless that lottery comes through for me!).

Until next time!!!

1 comment:

my bebo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.